We study the strong interaction at low and medium energies. Our activities focus on the theoretical interpretation of the experiments at MAMI and at other accelerator facilities. Beside analytical methods like effective field theories and dispersion theory numerical simulations of Quantum Chromodynamics on the lattice are applied.
Award for Bachelor thesis
Antonia Berger received an Award of Excellence for her Bachelor Thesis Allgemeine Relativitätstheorie mit einer Weiterbildung für Lehrkräfte. The thesis was supervised by Prof. Dr. Stefan Scherer.
Highest honors for PhD graduate
Dr. Oleksandr Tomalak received his PhD with summa cum laude on October 11th. His doctoral thesis "Two-photon exchange corrections in elastic lepton-proton scattering" was supervised by Professor Dr. Marc Vanderhaeghen.
SFB1044 Summer School 2016 in Boppard
The Summer School of the Collaborative Research Centre CRC/SFB 1044 took place October 4-7, 2016 at the Hotel Ebertor in Boppard. ...
Summer School 2016 of the Graduate School "Symmetry Breaking"
The third international summer school of the Graduate School "Symmetry Breaking in Fundamental Interactions" and the excellence cluster PRISMA took place on Frauenchiemsee in Bavaria/Germany from September 18 to 23, 2016. World-leading physicists presented lectures and topical talks in the fields of Higgs and Beyond the Standard Model Physics, Collider/LHC Physics, Effective Theories, Lattice QCD, Mathematical Physics, and Cosmology. ...
Die Masterarbeit Kausalität, Analytizität und Dispersionsrelationen von Daniel Schallus ist im BestMasters-Programm bei Springer Spektrum erschienen. ...
Workshop "New Vistas in Low-Energy Precision Physics (LEPP)"
The aim of this workshop is to discuss the physics opportunities at MESA, especially the opportunities given at the internal target experiment MAGIX. At MAGIX, the combination of a windowless target in combination with a high-intensity energy-recovering electron beam opens the avenue for new precision measurements in the fields of nuclear, hadron, and particle physics. ...
Eine Einführung in gruppentheoretische Methoden der Physik von Prof. Dr. Stefan Scherer ist bei Springer Spektrum erschienen. ...
First direct calculation of hadronic light-by-light scattering
Members of our group have succeeded for the first time in directly calculating the amplitude for hadronic light-by-light scattering on the lattice. Their work, which has appeared in the journal Physical Review Letters, has implications for the theoretical prediction of the anomalous magnetic moment of the muon, which for the hadronic contributions so far has had to rely on phenomenological models. ...
RESEARCH PROJECTS AND CENTERS
- Zu Bild 'PRISMA scientists seek to extend the frontier of knowledge and find answers to the key questions concerning the fundamental constituents of matter and their implications for the physics of the Universe.'
- Zu Bild 'Within CRC 1044 the role of hadrons is investigated in the context of particle and atomic physics as well as nuclear astrophysics. '
- Zu Bild 'MITP provides unique opportunities for cross-disciplinary exchange between researchers from different fields of expertise in theoretical physics.'
- Zu Bild 'Main interest of the "Center for Computational Sciences" is the advancement of simulation techniques as a third instrument for use in scientific research.'
- Zu Bild 'The graduate school focuses on graduate training through excellence in research in the fields of elementary particle physics, hadron physics, atomic physics, and nuclear chemistry.'