We study the strong interaction at low and medium energies. Our activities focus on the theoretical interpretation of the experiments at MAMI and at other accelerator facilities. Beside analytical methods like effective field theories and dispersion theory numerical simulations of Quantum Chromodynamics on the lattice are applied.
Just finishing your B.Sc.? Thinking about graduate studies? How about taking a 5-week programme (without tuition fees) that provides intensive training in fundamental physics with lectures and mentoring by leading scientists, the opportunity to network with international researchers, and an individual lab course to work on your own project, as well as an optional language course and cultural programme? Travel and accommodation grants are available. Apply by 15th December 2017. ...
GRK "Symmetry Breaking" Annual Retreat 2017
The annual retreat offers the opportunity for all members to better get to know each other and to discuss physics in a relaxed, informal atmosphere. Students can present their research projects in short presentations followed by discussions. In addition, distinguished scientists from leading institutions will give lecture courses in the fields of Higgs physics, axions, and gravitational waves. ...
SFB School 2017
The SFB 1044 "The Low-Energy Frontier of the Standard Model" held its annual Summer School at the Hotel Ebertor in Boppard from 29 August to 01 September 2017. Invited lecturer Adam Szczepaniak (Indiana U) spoke about Partial Wave Analysis and all that. Dr. Sören Lange from Gießen talked about experimental aspects. The program also included contributions from members of the SFB (graduate students, postdocs). ...
Dr. Oleksandr Tomalak receives award at DIES ACADEMICUS
As a part of the annual DIES ACADEMICUS held on May 31, 2017 Dr. Oleksandr Tomalak was presented a Department of Physics, Mathematics and Information Technology Award for his outstanding dissertion titled Two-photon exchange corrections in elastic lepton-proton scattering. ...
Die Masterarbeit Allgemeine Relativitätstheorie und Gravitomagnetismus von Mark Popenco ist im BestMasters-Programm bei Springer Spektrum erschienen. ...
Die Masterarbeit Allgemeine Relativitätstheorie und Gravitationswellen von Jonas Pohl ist im BestMasters-Programm bei Springer Spektrum erschienen. ...
Award for Bachelor thesis
Antonia Berger received an Award of Excellence for her Bachelor Thesis Allgemeine Relativitätstheorie mit einer Weiterbildung für Lehrkräfte. The thesis was supervised by Prof. Dr. Stefan Scherer.
Workshop "New Vistas in Low-Energy Precision Physics (LEPP)"
The aim of this workshop is to discuss the physics opportunities at MESA, especially the opportunities given at the internal target experiment MAGIX. At MAGIX, the combination of a windowless target in combination with a high-intensity energy-recovering electron beam opens the avenue for new precision measurements in the fields of nuclear, hadron, and particle physics. ...
RESEARCH PROJECTS AND CENTERS
- Zu Bild 'PRISMA scientists seek to extend the frontier of knowledge and find answers to the key questions concerning the fundamental constituents of matter and their implications for the physics of the Universe.'
- Zu Bild 'Within CRC 1044 the role of hadrons is investigated in the context of particle and atomic physics as well as nuclear astrophysics. '
- Zu Bild 'MITP provides unique opportunities for cross-disciplinary exchange between researchers from different fields of expertise in theoretical physics.'
- Zu Bild 'Main interest of the "Center for Computational Sciences" is the advancement of simulation techniques as a third instrument for use in scientific research.'
- Zu Bild 'The graduate school focuses on graduate training through excellence in research in the fields of elementary particle physics, hadron physics, atomic physics, and nuclear chemistry.'